Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Red Sweater Redo

Another sweater experiment: This time I used a red fine knit turtleneck sweater.

I sewed a line of straight stitches down the center of the turtleneck collar and a little ways past, then I zig-zagged over the stitching.
Then I cut between the stitching. 

This is what the back looks like after the collar is cut down the center:
Using white crochet thread, I did a single crochet edging all the way around. 
I found this stitch in an old instruction book for crocheted bedspreads. I "borrowed" the border stitch of one of the spreads for my sweater.

The completed crocheted lace:
It makes a cute "nautical" looking sweater, with the softness of crocheted lace.



3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Oh, you are so very clever, Mrs. Humphrey! I have always felt somewhat ambivalent about turtlenecks anyway. As Garrison Keillor would say, they make one feel as if he/she is being strangled by an assailant with a weak grip! Your solution is practical, yet so pretty. Lovely, lovely!

Laryssa Herbert said...

Wonderful job! I'll be looking for sweaters to re-fashion at my local thrift shop.

Elisabeth said...

Oh! That is lovely :)

Post a Comment

READ ME FIRST!
Pleasant Letters are Most Welcome!

Comments will be moderated for spam control and people having a bad day or making poor life choices.

Due to time constraints it may take a few days to publish and respond to your comments.